Saturday, December 20, 2008

sukiyaki

This song is so beautiful. Even though I didn't know what he was singing about at first, I felt the pain and I felt the hope. It was also the first song from Japan to make it big in North America. I think it's amazing that it went to the top of the charts in the 60s. Listening to it, I feel like I'm transported back in time, too. The wind would ruffle the leaves of the trees as I strolled through a quieter Toronto, softly humming along while my red dress billowed around me.

I found some translations online: "Sadness in the shadow of the stars / Sadness in the shadow of the moon / Looking up while walking / So the tears won't fall / Keep walking on, while crying / It's a lonely night / It's a lonely night." And even decades and oceans apart, I feel the same.

1 comment:

Devan Boomen said...

HI I'M REALLY EXCITED FOR NEW YEARS JAMS! CAN WE HAVE ON DEMAND KARAOKE AVAILABLE? DO THEY DO THAT STILL? IF NOT, CAN WE RENT A KARAOKE MACHINE?